Thursday, March 16, 2006

Burning Desire to Succeed:

One of the traits that I admire most in other people is a burning desire to succeed. When I hear the success of other people it inspires me. I recently was able to hear William Taylor speak, he is the founding director of Business 2.0 and author a book to be released later in the year, "Mavericks at Work". He provided many stories about success and the desire to succeed. It seemed that against all odds people succeed. He pointed to the example of the airline business where collectively it has lost billions of dollars since inception save one company, Southwest Airlines. He went on to say that Southwest was the best performing stock in the market since 1985 (I could be wrong on the year). The arguable worst industry in the world you find the most successful company. I take inspiration from this, Southwest understands itself and they can communicate their message effectively to their customers and shareholders.

I see this as a war of will and likewise I believe in any role you need a burning desire to succeed to stand out.. This passion for success is easy to identify in people. They are often high energy positive people who love a challenge. They are competitive and can see the value of a team of people with like mind. When many of these people get together with a single focus their chances of hitting that goal is increased exponentially.

Cheers,
Mike

1 comment:

Dayngr said...

Somtimes all you need is burning desire to keep you going. There are days that burning desire and the need to prove everyone who said I was going to fail wrong is more than enough to keep me pumped and motivated. Drive on!