Friday, April 14, 2006

Be a Monkey!

One of the best ways to build a business is to be a pain in the ass to the existing 500 pound gorilla. Is there a market that they are under serving? Are their clients unhappy with them but have no alternative? These are very good markets to exploit.

The infamous 500 pound gorilla has got what I like to call the "Three M's", Money, Market Share and Momentum. But many times these make that gorilla an easy target to a broke, agile, no business having monkey.

Momentum carries the gorilla forward down the same path. Any change in business strategy can mean a loss of their current customers. He has to plan, measure, and move with passionless thought. The monkey swings from idea to idea and has to stay way out in front since he is often showing the gorilla the path. The monkey is the innovator the gorilla the executioner.

The monkey is hungry and does not have much capital, he needs to find some early success or die. He is willing to listen to his customers and create a product that is truly reflective of their needs. The gorilla pours huge amounts of money into marketing to convince customers that his product will solve their problems and to maintain market share. The monkey is passionate the gorilla is introspective.

Market share can be a pain for the gorilla. He has worked very hard to get where he is very resistant to change. Change means risk and uncertainty, this is bad for the stock price. New products might not sell as good as the old ones and he may lose customers. The monkey has no market share to speak of. He can create niches of customers for whom he will deliver the world. He can create new and innovative products where there is no market. He can steal whole markets with a shift in paradigm. The monkey is creative, the gorilla is protective.

And keep in mind some day you will be the gorilla to some young monkey.

Cheers,
Mike

4 comments:

Tashe said...

Thank you, Mike.

You have just placed me firmly on the right track.

Like-minded people and all...

A "new and innovative service" is buzzing around in my head and every now and then, I think that it is too much, too out there, too hard…but whenever it’s burning me up, it’s the best idea I’ve heard of in a long time…further, I know I can do it, well.

Sometimes I make changes to the original plan; choosing a different market, considering a partner, sticking with an e-mail service as opposed to finding a space to open up shop…I’m really thinking about all this, really…

Here’s what finding you has done for me.

You have, in very simple and non-intimidating language given me ideas, insights, into where I should start to implement my idea…what areas I need too consider to evaluate it’s viability.
What I should aim for. Answers and concepts that seemed impossible to find for free (LOL) are right here in this blog...

...and I found it!

Do you believe in fate?
...I didn't find this by accident.

I actually checked you out because the word 'mingle' caught my eye...looks good.
mingle.com...I'll check it out right after I finish this note.

I’ll keep reading, and learning and…I think we’ll probably be friends someday…

Like-minded people and all…

Thanks again, from an inspired entrepreneur looking to get a piece of the pie…looking to make a difference, change the world; one person at a time, using the right words…

~Tashe

Mind Curry said...

excellent stuff..i am a proud monkey..as of now. :)

OhPunk! said...

"I'm banana's over your blog.."

How's that for a comment. Great post though!

** Shaun **
My awesome blog: ohpunk.blogspot.com

-

VinValentino said...

Great blog! I definitely can appreciate your creative analogies! I'm also in Downtown San Diego; it's nice to see some like-minded people around here! If you need anything from web design to guerilla marketing; even investment banking, let me know! I'd be happy to help! I checked out your website, and like your business models and your dedication, outlook, and perseverence!