Thursday, April 13, 2006

Knowing the right decision:

We often hear about leaders who have made big decisions correctly, even though their decision goes against conventional wisdom. Take Steve Jobs, of Apple, who in 2001 launched their first Apple store. Their thought was that for someone to truly give Apple a shot at being the computer of choice they would need sales people who really understood the product. They opened this store just as Gateway was closing their stores due to soft sales. Many analysts thought this was a poor decision. The rest is history, Apple operates more than 81 stores nationwide and their 2004 sales exceeded 1.5 billion.

Apple was already the hip computer. Following the lead of such stores as BCBG, Disney and Hollister, they turned their store into an experience. This electronic hip experience was backed up with a superior product and a amazing product development team. Steve knew this was the right decision at the right time.

Many times I have a hard time articulating the reasons behind a decisions, however, I know to the core of me that it is the right thing to do. I often will sit and think about the basis of the pending decision and allow my mind to bubble the reasons for the decision to the top. If I do not take the time to do this I feel the decision is more emotional than rational and I will err on the side of rational every day.

Cheers,
Mike

4 comments:

Yuchi said...

Go ahead!
http://zhouyuchi.zj.com

High Power Rocketry said...

: )

Geoff Mills said...

It seems increasingly important to emphasize that "gut" still matters amidst successive waves of movements (like 6 Sigma) that enforce fact-based, data-driven decision making processes. These processes are great and have been used to tremendous benefit, but they will never replace human intuition and the role of great people in achieving great things.

Ike said...

I have to say I have become a big fan of your website and its rich philosophy. I think you are tapping unbelievable resources. I would be interested in your take on my blog about people's photos online. Let me know if you can. In the meantime, best wishes for continued success.